Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Bock Report: Copperopolis

by Paula Bock

Copperopolis has a special place in my heart because, in 2000, it was my second road race ever. I remember the beautiful scenery, the cool, foggy breezes and the wicked fast descent. Bridget May, Cheryl Hebert and I stayed together the rest of the race after we got dropped on the first long climb. That climb felt like eternity, but the company of others was comforting. The race is especially nostalgic for me because I was on my first road bike: an old Basso frame put together with some hand-me down parts from my racer boyfriend (now husband Olivier). It was a bomber bike, fit me well enough, and funny thing is, I don't think I've ever descended better with newer bikes and more experience. Too bad I crashed in a crit the following weekend at Wente, and the Basso had to be retired. But, as they say, "steel is real" and it's all I've ever ridden since. This time around, six years later, I took my custom steel Inglis bike for the ride, and I couldn't have been happier with its light weight and nimbleness on the climbs.

Anyway, bike nostalgia aside, it was a great day, the best of road racing as I remember it. The usual early morning departure, except this time I got to sleep during the drive, Olivier had the early race, mine didn't start until 11:20. We went with our friend Shane Deal. It was really weird to wake up in the middle of the registration area, then standing around trying to get coherent with a full thermos of coffee. After finally achieving sufficient caffeine levels, I ventured off looking for friends while the boys got ready for their races. I found Katie, hung out and chatted oh-so-casually, while everybody else around us had to deal with getting ready and warmed up. We were probably the only people standing who weren't also in line for the portapotties. Katie couldn't help but notice a guy lining up who was in a Gerolosteiner kit. "Could that be Levi Leipheimer?" Katie asked. Sure 'nuf, upon closer inspection, he looked like the real deal. Katie went to get her camera ready so she could get some snapshots later.

Then we headed out towards the feed zone for our guys. The weather was getting nice: sunny and warm. We settled down on the side of the road and waited for the racers to start coming through. The pros came first, and Katie was ready: Levi came by and she caught him on film! The others riders started coming through in waves, and I was happy to see that all the guys I was supporting were in good positions after one lap. I got to chit chat with an old friend from my early days of racing, and catch up on other news of other friendly racing acquaintances.

Before too long though, it was time for my race to start. I hardly had enough time to warm up, but I wasn't worried, my expectations are so low of myself, I'm just out there to have fun, and suffer while I'm at it. At the start line, Olivier gave me words of advice and encouragement, and then we were off. I decided right away that I didn't want to be too close to anybody's wheel, and stay close to the front so I could see the road comfortably ahead, and also to stay clear of riders who liked to swerve a lot to avoid potholes/bumps/broken up pavement. As a mountain biker and having new burly training tires, the road debris and rocks didn't faze me, so I picked the straightest, fastest lines possible. Luckily, the places where drafting was most important, the road surfaces were safer and smoother. At this point, I could get into the nitty gritty Cat 4 women's racing tactics (or lack thereof, depending on perspective), but that's sure to put anyone to sleep, so I'll just say that that group got broken up, many of us were out there solo or in mini groups, and in the end, I didn't crash and managed to finish 5th! It hurt incredibly, but I was relieved to be finished and cheered on by my friends waiting at the finish line. They were so happy for me, and I was perfectly happy, too. The moment just kept getting better as I congratulated the other riders on their race, and then turned around to see my teammate Katie coming in across the finish line for 6th place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home